Saturday, January 14, 2012

Top 11 Songs of 2011

Many music sites and bloggers list their top whatever of the year usually during December. But what if something good shows up during the last days of the year? That's why I'm posting my own lists this month, because in a matter of fact December did hit me up with a special treat, but more of that next week.

Now I present you my top 11 songs of 2011:

11. Hypnotic Brass Ensemble - Touch The Sky
This is the feel good factor song. Well no wonder, since they keep on singing 'I feel good, You feel good'.
(Read here my gig review from last November)



10. Zola Jesus - In Your Nature
One of my 2011 music crushes. Here's my favorite song of her latest album 'Conatus'.



9. Crystal Fighters - Plage
When I worked at a CD factory this song was on the radio every single day..Just to make my work days merrier.
(Read here my feature on them and here my gig review from last May)



8. Austra - Beat And The Pulse
I just simply love the dark and wonderfully numbing beats of this song.
(Read here my gig review from last September)



7. The Strokes - Under Cover Of Darkness
Isn't it great to have them back after five years? And their comeback song doesn't suck, which is something you're usually afraid of.



6. Wild Beasts - Reach A Bit Further
Their latest album 'Smother' isn't the easiest to listen to, even this song's beauty I've started to understand only after hearing it live. But you can't deny the fact that it has brilliant lyrics and killer vocals from both Hayden and Tom as always. Best duet so far.



5. Explosions In The Sky - Postcard From 1952
2011 was the year when I got to know the band, fall in love with them and have their latest album 'Take Care, Take Care, Take Care' playing many days at the office, many times. Here's my favorite song (or instrumental as we learned at law class) of the album from my 'dose of happy melancholia'.
(Read here my gig review from last May)



4. The Kills - Future Starts Slow
You can blow what's left of my right mind. Just hearing the first seconds of the opening track of their 'Blood Pressures' album did just that and already I was sure that the rest of the album is great.
(Read here my gig review from last March)



3. Bon Iver - Calgary
In my opinion the most anticipated song/album of the year. When hearing that Bon Iver's style would change a bit with the new songs, I was worried. Though in vain.
(Read here my Bon Iver, Bon Iver album review)



2. Friends - I'm His Girl
All I can say that this song gives hope to the music scene (and relationships).
(Read here my feature on the band)



And after listening to many kick ass songs, ladies and gentlemen I present you my number 1 song of 2011:

Anna Calvi - Suzanne And I
I have one word to describe this masterpiece; BJU-TI-FUL.
(Read here my review of the video and here my gig review from last April)



What were your top songs of 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment