Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble @Jazz Cafe, London

7.11.2011

For a couple of years I've been a fan of Chicago-based brass group Hypnotic Brass Ensemble. It features eight sons of Phil Cohran on horns and a drummer. It had been hard for me to see them play anywhere, as they'd play in cities to where I wouldn't have a chance to go to at that moment. But finally I was in the right place in the right time;



Here's a performance from Later with Jools Holland to show you one of the reasons why this indie music fan loves this brass group.


The support act was Hackney, London's own Hackney Colliery Band. Not only did they play covers like Under the Bridge and Sex on Fire (which made the audience go crazy), but also their own songs.



 Taking pictures of a bunch of moving people isn't the easiest thing!



Too bad their merch sale ended so quickly after their gig, it would have been nice to own their debut album. But at least you can listen to it on their website.

After a great support act, which played quite a long set than usual for warm up bands, it was time for the long-waited moment.







Have to say that I was disappointed that there was more talking than playing, though they managed to entertain and interact with the audience pretty well, as for me that was the best English audience I've seen so far. Usually they tend to be dead boring and conservative, but now everyone was jumping around.



Everyone was having fun, except for the ones who came with me! Even the guy in the wheel chair moved more than them. They claimed the band's approach to the audience was too American. Too American or not, you don't go to a gig to sit down, unless it's someone like Celine Dion performing.

I loved the energy the band brought and the brilliant chemistry between them. Well brothers, so it shouldn't be a surprise. I also loved the drummer's glasses, and how he stood out with the hipster-liked look. I bought their latest release, but too bad they didn't sell their other releases and shirts. I reserved just enough cash to get them all, but only ended up with one CD :( #firstworldproblems

But for your information the CD is still great. Kryptonite is the name. And it was very nice for the group members to sell the CDs and vinyls themselves.

Until the next time I see them, TOUCH THE SKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment