Monday, December 26, 2011

You could go 'wau' for this.

6.11.2011

It was time for me to visit the rest of the exhibitions of Tate Modern, as I didn't have time during the earlier visit, which you can read from here, if you haven't yet or don't remember. Hint; a museum tour with a French person.

There was a really interesting exhibition by American Taryn Simon.


For this work she spent over four years travelling around the world researching and recording bloodlines and their related stories. In each of the eighteen 'chapters', the external forces like religion and territory collide with the internal forces of psychological and physical inheritance. The subjects included genocide victims in Bosnia, the body double of Saddam Hussein's son Uday and the living dead in India.

Some subjects were more interesting than others, but I don't think I've ever learned so much from an exhibition before. I had no clue that Muslims were the target in Bosnia, that people pay money in India to declare someone dead so they could own their land, after which the 'dead' struggle to prove that they're alive, that poachers are after albinos in Tanzania because their blood and limbs are believed to have healing effects (there was a picture of a baby whose arm had been cut off) and so on.

Watch Tate's interview with Simon



Here's some other museum treasures from that day;







And a treasure from the streets;


Still sad I didn't see it in the cinemas, though I'm a bigger fan of the traditional animations. But the final battle between Simba and Scar would have been cool to see in 3D!

Hope you learned something new from this post.

I've also finally created a Facebook page for my blog, though I still haven't put it on my blog's actual site (really bad in coding), but anyways you can like it here, if you like! And thanks to those who already have. X

No comments:

Post a Comment