Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Can't Stop

8.7.2011

”I will stay only until 2”; Jordan said when he promised to spend the last party Thursday with me in De Boulevard. Then he promised to go to the Speel for only a beer. Then I had to wake up already at 8 to go to Den Haag for a museum tour, but I accidentally turned off my alarm clock, so I had about 30min to brush my teeth, check Facebook, if Jara replied my message to pick up the museum cards from her place and then to the train station to meet up with Maria. 

Jara did not reply my message, so I assumed I could just go to her place and knock on her window. However Jordan did post a message of still being awake at 6am. Goed gedaan jonge. After picking up the museum cards I made it just on time for the train, which Maria didn’t believe I could do. I tend to call her a pessimist, after which she claims she is not, then I ask why so much anger -> raising voice telling that she is not angry-> me saying relax -> she threatening me. We’re going to have so much fun this autumn! <3

Naturally I felt horrible, and the goal for the day was to simply survive. I can blame Jordan for it a bit; he just kept pouring more beer in my glass. But hey Jordantje I had a blast, even though you were clearly suffering in Boule (;

The train trip took ages, when we arrived to Delft, where Maria wanted to see the churches where the Dutch royalties and famous painter Vermeer are buried and climb the tower. I’m really lucky that I climbed the Nieuwe Kerke’s tower in autumn already; for sure I would have died trying to do it on that day. I on the other hand had a look at the army museum and the museum where Willem of Orange (the first king of Holland) was killed. They weren’t that special, but when you get in museums for free with the card, then you get in for free.



stairs where he was killed

While walking on the streets of Delft I heard some weird language, which first sounded like Spanish, but for my shock was Finnish. Basically a mother telling her son that she doesn’t want to eat anything sweet now; “Nikkelnakkelmakeaa”. That’s how it sounded, and that’s how international students try to speak Finnish.

After our quick stop at Delft we headed to Den Haag. The first museum we visited there was the Mauritshuis, which had the famous Girl with a Pearl Earring by Vermeer. The museum was only two floors, and perhaps not worth the 10€, which normal visitors had to pay (meaning non-museum card holders ;P). But seeing some famous paintings of Rembrandt and the Girl, it was worth visiting. That was the first time I realized how beautiful the painting was. Posing like a model today, I wonder how she looked like in real life. For me that piece of art contains a hundred times more mystery than Mona Lisa’s smile.




The second museum was the Gemeente museum, which is huge with a lot of paintings like Picasso, but I didn’t get to see any paintings, since I got stuck in the “exploration” area. A lot of interesting facts of the universe and interactive stuff. I didn’t even remember that we were supposed to go see paintings, though it doesn’t matter, been there done that. 

yummy kibbeling while waiting for the bus






                                         already extinct gigantic elephant bird




But this? ->




How many can say that they’ve caused a volcano to erupt in a museum?

 Third and the last was the Foto museum, which was just the next building. 


Before we entered the first exhibition room I noticed that they were playing Red Hot Chili Peppers’ Can’t Stop video on a small TV. I had been playing that video for the last week on my laptop, and realized that the exhibition is going to be about the person, who inspired that video. Oh boy did I get excited!








 Now that was fun.

We were supposed to visit the beach, where I spent the first of January, but I was too tired for that. So the last thing we saw were some interesting giant sculptures from China.

 maria usually doesn't do funny pics, but now she got really excited



Finally when I started to feel awake, it was time to go home. I survived, the most fun museum tour yet.

PS. Jara did not receive the message of picking up the cards, so I guess she was quite scared in the morning of someone knocking on her window.

No comments:

Post a Comment