Thursday, March 14, 2013

Habemus Papam



I never liked the last pope. For me he was like a step father I didn't want. Some think his resignation was bad for the Church's reputation, I think him being there and making those controversial statements were bad. Plus, he looked like the bad guy from Star Wars. Enough said.

Before the new pope was chosen, I had the feeling that things will be better this time. I'm not the only one surprised of the pick, mainly because of his age. Additionally, when he stepped into the balcony, he looked too ordinary and blank- I expected him to hold his head up high and have a big smile on his face. Simply, I wasn't convinced. Until he opened his mouth. Not understanding much of what he said, though, I still sensed that the right decision was made.

They say this man from Argentina is extremely humble and caring about the poor. Even the name he's picked for himself, Francis, shows where he's coming from and where he's going to. The loved St. Francis of Assisi was known as a wealthy man, who gave up all his fortune to serve the poor and his deep affection to animals and the environment. People joke that the new pope would go ahead and give away all the priceless treasures the Vatican holds. With them you could probably feed all the poor. How I wish this would happen.

I've always wondered why the Vatican is built the way it is and all the luxurious things it possesses, since Jesus did stress the importance of modesty. Perhaps, this is the reason why we now have Pope Francis I.

The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers.

Let's see now how he will match up to John Paul II, who cared about the youth, and yes, supported the right team.

No comments:

Post a Comment