Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Hangin' around

I completely fell for The Carpenters last winter, especially for the voice of Karen, who I now think is the best female singer of all time. So, when last February marked 30 years since her tragic death, I asked the most chill producer around, Shelf Nunny, to remix one of their tracks. I just love when different genres are combined, and the end result turned out A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

When asking Shelf about the song choice, he said that he's always heard of the band, although never really listened to them. He had heard the sample of Rainy Days and Mondays on a rap song, which you can listen here, and it was interesting for him to sample it, because he didn't want it to sound like the rap version.

It's a hiphop version of Mondays.

For me it definitely is in its own class. And to hear Karen's voice as a "broken record" is not a bad thing at all.

Below you've got both the great original and the extraordinary.



No comments:

Post a Comment